A teacher once gave these wise words to his senior class. They make a lot of sense.
1. You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.
2. Never cancel dinner plans by text message.
3. Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it.
4. If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck.
5. After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are more hills to climb.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. It is better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low.
8. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
9. Don’t dumb it down.
10. You only get one chance to notice a new haircut.
11. If you’re staying more than one night, unpack.
12. Never park in front of a bar.
13. Expect the seat in front of you to recline. Prepare accordingly.
14. Strong people don’t put others down, they lift them up.
15. Hold your heroes to a high standard.
16. A suntan is earned, not bought.
17. Never lie to your doctor.
18. All guns are loaded.
19. Don’t mention sunburns. Believe me, they know.
20. The best way to show thanks is to wear it. Even if it’s only once.
21. Take a vacation from your cell phone, internet, and TV once a year.
22. Don’t fill up on bread, no matter how good it is.
23. You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.
24. Don’t linger in the doorway. In or out.
25. Follow your heart but take your brain with you.
26. If you want to know what makes you look unique, sit for a caricature.
27. Never get your haircut the day of a special event.
28. Be mindful of what comes between you and the Earth. Always buy good shoes, tires, and sheets.
29. Pretty words are not always true, and true words are not always pretty.
30. When you’re with new friends, don’t just talk about old friends.
31. Eat lunch with the new kids.
32. When traveling, keep your wits about you.
33. It’s never too late for an apology.
34. Don’t pose with booze.
35. If you have the right of way, TAKE IT.
36. You don’t get to choose your own nickname.
37. When you marry someone, remember you marry their entire family.
38. Never push someone off a dock.
39. Under no circumstances should you ask a woman if she is pregnant.
40. It’s not enough to be proud of your ancestry, live up to it.
41. Don’t make a scene.
42. When giving a thank-you speech, short and sweet is best.
43. Know when to ignore the camera.
44. Never gloat.
45. Invest in great luggage.
46. Make time for your mom on your birthday, it’s her special day too.
47. When opening presents, no one likes a good guesser.
48. Sympathy is a crutch, never fake a limp.
49. Give credit. Take blame.
50. Suck it up every now and again.
51. It ain’t over till it’s over.
52. Don’t stare.
53. Address everyone that carries a firearm professionally.
54. Stand up to bullies. You’ll only have to do it once.
55. If you’ve made your point, stop talking.
56. Admit it when you’re wrong.
57. If you offer to help, don’t quit until the job is done.
58. Look people in the eye when you thank them.
59. Thank the bus driver.
60. Never answer the phone at the dinner table.
61. Forgive yourself for your mistakes.
62. Know at least one good joke.
63. Don’t boo. Even the ref is somebody’s son.
64. Know how to cook one good meal.
65. Learn to drive a stick shift.
66. Be cool to younger kids. Reputations are built over a lifetime.
67. Words are free, it’s how you use them that may cost you.
68. Success isn’t given, it’s earned.
69. Don’t lose your cool. Especially at work.
70. Always thank the host.
71. If you don’t understand, ask before it’s too late.
72. Know the size of your boyfriend/girlfriend’s clothes.
73. It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.
74. Be a good listener. Don’t just take your turn to talk.
75. Keep your word.
76. Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.
77. Carry your mother’s bags. She carried you for 9 months.
78. Be patient with airport security. They are just doing their job.
79. Don’t be the talker or texter in a movie.
80. The opposite sex likes people who shower.
81. You are what you do. Not what you say.
82. Learn to change a tire.
83. Be kind. Everyone has a hard fight ahead of them.
84. An hour with grandparents is time well spent. Ask for advice when you need it.
85. Don’t litter.
86. If you have a sister, get to know her boyfriend. Your opinion is important.
87. You won’t always be the strongest or fastest, but always try your hardest.
88. Never call someone before or after 9 AM and 9PM.
89. No one can whistle a symphony, it takes a whole orchestra to play it.
90. Make the little things count.
91. Knowledge comes from learning, wisdom comes from living.
92. There is a fine line between looking casual and sloppy. Find it.
93. You’re never too old to need your mom.
94. Lessons in life will be repeated until learned.
95. Know the words to your national anthem.
96. It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.
97. Smile at strangers.
98. Make goals.
99. Being old is not dictated by your bedtime.
100. Don’t be afraid of change, it’s a big part of life.