I love the prayer that Jesus used to teach us how to pray. Years ago I made a small laminated copy of this teaching on the Lord’s Prayer to help my prayer life. I still refer to it frequently when I am in extended times of prayer… Here is a copy for you.
“OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN, HALLOWED BE YOUR NAME”
- Meditate on the reason that you can approach God as your Father, that reason being the blood of Jesus shed on the cross.
- Thank God that you can call Him “Abba” and “Father” by virtue of that blood.
“HALLOWED BE YOUR NAME”
Listed below are eight of the compound Names of God. Jesus came in the Name of God.
“I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not accept Me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God? ~ John 5:43-44
Each of the eight Names is identified, passages of scripture are listed and possible prayer suggestions are given. Use this sheet as a resource for your own personal fellowship with God in the power and strength of His Name.
- “The Lord will provide.” Genesis 22:14
- Jesus is my Provision. Galatians 3:13; Romans 8:1-2
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Jireh, my Provision. I praise Your Name that Jesus has become my Provision from the curse of the law and sin, and that He has become my source of blessing and success in Your Name.”
- “The Lord Who heals.” Exodus 15:26
- Jesus is my Healer. I Peter 2:24
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Rophe, my Healer. I praise Your Name that Jesus is the Healer of the hurts in my flesh, in my heart, in my spirit and in my body. I thank You that He wants to make me whole.”
- “The Lord is my Banner.”
- Jesus is my Banner. Isaiah 11:10; Romans 1:3
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Nissi, my Banner. I praise Your Name that Jesus is the Standard I look to so that I can find my way back home to You.”
- “The Lord Who sanctifies.” Leviticus 20:8
- Jesus, my Sanctifier. I Corinthians 6:11; I Thessalonians 5:23
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-M’Kaddesh, the One Who sanctifies. I stand before You and ask to be conformed into the image of Your Son Who also is at work in me to break sin’s power over me.”
- “The Lord is Peace.” Judges 6:24
- Jesus is my Peace. Colossians 1:19-20
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Shalom. You are my peace. I praise Your Name that Jesus made the peace with You possible by His shed blood on the cross. And I praise Your Name that because of that reconciliation to You, I can have Your peace which passes all understanding and keeps my heart and mind in You.”
- “The Lord is my Shepherd.” Psalms 23
- Jesus is my Shepherd. John 10:11; Hebrews 13:20
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Rohi, my Shepherd. I praise Your Name that Jesus has become my Shepherd and that He feeds, leads, protects and cares for me. I thank You that with Jesus as my Shepherd, I do not have to fear death.”
- “The Lord, our Righteousness.” Jeremiah 23:5-6
- Jesus our Righteousness. II Corinthians 5:21; Romans 5:17-19
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Tsidkenu. You are my righteousness. I stand before You forgiven because of the blood of Your Risen Son. I have been made Your righteousness in Him.”
- “The Lord is there.” Ezekiel 48:35
- Jesus is my presence. Hebrews 13:5; Ephesians 2:19-22; Galatians 2:20
- Prayer: “Father, You are Jehovah-Shammah. You are there and You have filled me with Your overflowing presence. And I praise You for the presence of Jesus which indwells me, and that You will never leave me nor forsake me.”
- Make declarations of faith based upon what God has done for you.
- Submit yourself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ
- Pray in the Spirit, worshiping and making melody in your heart to the Lord. Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20; Ephesians 5:19
CONCLUSION: “Thank You, Jehovah Father, that Your Son and my Savior, Jesus Christ, came in Your Name. May He, by the power of the Holy Spirit, be entirely and completely the Lord of all of my life.”
“YOUR KINGDOM COME, YOUR WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN”
- Make a declaration of faith: “Come Kingdom of God, be done will of God.” (Read Romans 14:17 very carefully)
- Major areas of your life that the declaration applies to:
a. Your Church
- The Pastor’s
- Faithfulness of the people
- The harvest: Lord use us to reach our city.
b. Your family
- Your spouse:
- Your children:
- Other family members:
- Be sure you are right before the Lord
- Ask Jesus to be seated on the throne of your life and to rule in every area, your work, , how you treat people, how you show love, your giving, etc.
- Ask for strength from God through the Spirit to help you develop a consistent daily time of prayer
- Seek the face of God – ask for eyes that see and ears that hear His voice.
- Pray for a task in God’s Kingdom and in the local church.
d. Our Nation
- City, state or province and national political leaders
- Spiritual dominion
e. Worldwide missions
- Specific missions
- Specific nations
- Your Christian brothers and sisters world-wide.
“GIVE US TODAY OUR DAILY BREAD”
1. Trust the Lord for His provisions for you.
- Base any requests on scriptural promises. Luke 6:38; Philippians 4:19; James 4:1-3
- Study God’s word and add to your knowledge of the material promises of God then ask “in God’s will.” I John 5:14
2. Be specific
- Bring specific needs daily before God. Luke 11:5-6. (The “neighbor asked not just for bread but for three loaves of bread!”)
- Lay the need at His feet and trust Him instead of worrying
3. Be tenacious
- Persevere in your requests. Luke 18:1-8; Hebrews 11:6
- Praise God because He is Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord our Provider.
“AND FORGIVE US OUR DEBTS, AS WE ALSO HAVE FORGIVEN OUR DEBTORS.”
1. Ask God to forgive you.
- Part of this has been dealt with in “kingdom come, will of God be done in me.”
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas in your life that are not pleasing to God.
- Confess your sin – simple statement – difficult task!
- Praise God that He is Jehovah-M’Kaddesh, the God that sanctifies.
2. Forgive as often as you want to be forgiven.
- Acknowledge your great debt of sin that God has forgiven you.
- Realize that your sins put Christ on the cross, and that as surely as His blood covers your sin it covers other people’s sins.
- By an act of your own will, forgive those who have sinned against you and release them to God.
- Pray for those who you perceive have wronged you.
3. Set your will to forgive anyone who sins against you this day.
- Make up your mind to return good for evil by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit within you.
- Make Matthew 5:44 a declaration of faith.
- Pray that you will begin to experience the fruit of the spirit in your life in great measure. Galatians 5:22-23
“AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION BUT DELIVER US FROM THE EVIL ONE.”
- Put on the whole armor of God – Ephesians 6:10-18 – put each piece on with purpose and deliberation!
- Build a hedge of protection – Psalms 91:2, 9, 14
- Because you have made the Most High your dwelling – Psalms 91:9
- Because you love the Lord – Psalms 91:14
- Because you acknowledge the Lord’s name – Psalms 91:14
“FOR YOURS IS THE KINGDOM AND THE POWER AND THE GLORY FOREVER”
1. The Kingdom:
- Luke 12:32 – To give you the Kingdom
- Colossians 1:12-14 – We are partakers in the Kingdom
- II Timothy 4:18 – Brought to the heavenly Kingdom
2. A prayer of thanksgiving for being brought into His Kingdom
3. A declaration: “I am delivered from every evil work and will be brought safely to His kingdom.”
from “Could You Not Tarry One Hour?” ~ Larry Lea
Creation House 1987